Last Updated on December 28, 2023
Do you love the traditional flavors of cornbread dressing, but are looking for something a little different?
If so, then you’re in luck. Bill Miller’s Cornbread Dressing Recipe is a delicious alternative that combines the flavor of cornbread with a unique blend of spices and seasonings. This savory side dish is sure to please both your taste buds and your guests.
What is Bill Miller’s Cornbread Dressing?
Bill Miller Bar-B-Q is a restaurant chain based in San Antonio, primarily renowned for its focus on barbecue dishes, delicious sides, and freshly baked goods. One of its most popular items is Bill Miller’s Cornbread Dressing Recipe.
It is a classic Southern dish that has been around for generations. It is a savory combination of cornbread, celery, onions, and a blend of seasonings. The dish is then topped with a buttery crumb topping and baked in the oven until golden brown and crispy.
Why You’ll Love this Bill Miller Cornbread Dressing Recipe?
Bill Miller’s Cornbread Dressing Recipe is a delicious, unique take on the classic Southern favorite. The combination of cornbread, celery, onions, and seasonings creates a flavorful dish that is sure to be a hit with family and friends. The buttery crumb topping adds a creamy, crunchy texture that makes this dish truly special. Plus, it’s easy to make and can be prepped ahead of time.
You will also like the following Side Dish recipes!
- Betty Crocker Swedish Meatball Copycat Recipe
- How to make Paula Deen Cornbread Salad
- Best Laba Garlic Recipe
To make Bill Miller’s Cornbread Dressing Recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- Crumbled Buttermilk Cornbread: It forms the base and primary texture of the dressing, providing a rich, slightly tangy flavor and a crumbly texture that absorbs the other ingredients.
- Large Sweet Onions: These add a sweet, aromatic flavor to the dressing, enhancing its overall taste profile and complementing the savory elements.
- Green Bell Peppers: They contribute a mild, refreshing crunch and a subtle vegetal flavor, adding depth and texture to the dressing.
- Cubed French Baguette: This bread adds a different texture to the dressing, offering a contrast to the cornbread while soaking up the flavors of the other ingredients.
- Celery: It brings a refreshing, slightly bitter taste and a satisfying crunch to the dressing, balancing the richness of other components.
- Roasted Chicken: Provides a savory, meaty element to the dressing, infusing it with a depth of flavor and making it more substantial.
- Homemade Chicken Broth: Serves as the liquid base, adding moisture and intensifying the savory taste of the dressing with its rich chicken flavor.
- Pink Himalayan Salt: Enhances and balances the flavors, ensuring the overall seasoning is well-distributed throughout the dish.
- Freshly Ground Black Peppercorns: Adds a pungent, aromatic heat and depth to the dressing, enhancing the overall taste.
- Clarified Butter: Brings richness and a buttery flavor, contributing to the moistness and adding a luxurious quality to the dressing.
- Organic Sage Leaves: Imparts an earthy, slightly peppery flavor and aroma, characteristic of sage, which is traditional in many dressing recipes.
- Garlic Powder, roasted: Provides a subtle yet distinct garlicky flavor, enhancing the savory notes of the dish.
- Organic Free-Range Eggs: Acts as a binder, helping to hold the ingredients together while adding richness and moisture to the dressing.
- Fresh Thyme Leaves: Offers a fresh, herbal flavor and aroma, complementing the other herbs and enhancing the overall taste profile of the dressing.
To make Bill Miller’s Cornbread Dressing Recipe, start by preheating the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
Step 1: Preparing the Oven and Ingredients
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and prepare a large baking dish or casserole dish by greasing it. Set the dish aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine crumbled buttermilk cornbread and cubed French baguette. This creates the base for your dressing.
Step 2: Sautéing Vegetables
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and melt a portion of clarified butter.
- Add chopped onions, celery, and green bell peppers to the skillet. Sauté the vegetables until they soften and become translucent, which usually takes about 5-7 minutes. Once done, remove the skillet from the heat and allow the mixture to cool slightly.
Step 3: Combining Ingredients
- Add the sautéed vegetables to the bowl containing the cornbread and baguette mixture. Gently toss the ingredients to combine.
- Incorporate hand-shredded roasted chicken into the bowl with the bread and vegetables, ensuring an even distribution.
Step 4: Preparing the Wet Mixture
- In a separate bowl, whisk together chicken broth, the remaining clarified butter, beaten eggs, salt, black pepper, sage leaves, roasted garlic powder, and fresh thyme leaves. This forms the flavorful liquid base for the dressing.
Step 5: Mixing the Wet and Dry Ingredients
- Pour the wet mixture over the cornbread, vegetable, and chicken mixture in the large bowl. Gently fold everything together until the bread has absorbed the liquid, ensuring an even distribution of flavors.
Step 6: Baking the Dressing
- Transfer the combined dressing mixture into the prepared baking dish, spreading it out evenly.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil to help the dressing cook through and retain moisture. Bake it in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
Step 7: Browning the Top
- After 30 minutes, remove the foil to allow the top to brown. Continue baking for an additional 15-20 minutes or until the dressing’s top achieves a golden-brown color, and the dressing is thoroughly cooked.
Step 8: Serving
- Once done, take the dressing out of the oven and let it rest for a few minutes before serving. This helps it set.
- Serve Bill Miller’s Cornbread Dressing warm as a delightful side dish alongside your meal. Enjoy the delicious flavors and textures!
Here are a few tips and tricks to keep in mind when making Bill Miller’s Cornbread Dressing Recipe:
• Use good-quality cornbread for the best results.
• You can substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth if desired.
• Feel free to adjust the amount of seasonings to your taste.
• To prevent the dressing from becoming soggy, make sure you bake it long enough for the liquid to evaporate.
• This dish can be served as a side or as a main course.
Bill Miller’s Cornbread Dressing Recipe can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. To reheat, simply place in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 10 minutes, or until warmed through.
One serving of Bill Miller’s Cornbread Dressing Recipe provides the following nutrition information:
• Calories: 237
• Total Fat: 12g
• Saturated Fat: 7g
• Trans Fat: 0g
• Cholesterol: 33mg
• Sodium: 895mg
• Carbohydrates: 25g
• Fiber: 2g
• Sugar: 4g
• Protein: 5g
Bill Miller’s Cornbread Dressing Recipe is the perfect accompaniment to a variety of dishes. Here are a few serving suggestions:
• Enjoy it as a side to roasted chicken or pork.
• Serve it with grilled vegetables for a light, flavorful meal.
• Top it with a poached egg for a tasty breakfast.
• Use it as a stuffing for chicken or pork chops.
• Use it as a base for a savory casserole.
What other substitute can I use in Bill Miller Cornbread Dressing Recipe?
If you don’t have all the ingredients on hand, there are some great substitutions you can use in Bill Miller’s Cornbread Dressing Recipe.
• Cornbread: If you don’t have any cornbread on hand, you can use a store-bought biscuit mix as a substitute.
• Celery: If you don’t have celery, you can use a combination of diced carrot and onion.
• Butter: If you don’t have butter, you can substitute olive oil or vegetable oil.
• Chicken Broth: If you don’t have chicken broth, you can use vegetable broth or water.
• Panko Bread Crumbs: If you don’t have Panko bread crumbs, you can use regular bread crumbs or crushed crackers.
- 2 Large Sweet Onions finely chopped
- 2 Green bell peppers diced
- 8 cups Crumbled Buttermilk Cornbread
- 4 cups Homemade Chicken Broth
- 1 cup Clarified Butter melted
- 2 teaspoons Freshly Ground Black Peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons Fresh Thyme Leaves picked off stems
- 2 teaspoons Pink Himalayan Salt
- 8 cups Cubed French Baguette
- 8 stalks Celery finely chopped
- 2 pounds Roasted Chicken hand-shredded
- 2 teaspoons Organic Sage Leaves finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Garlic Powder roasted
- 4 Organic Free-Range Eggs lightly beaten
- STEP 1 – Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a large baking dish or casserole dish and set it aside. In a large mixing bowl, combine the crumbled buttermilk cornbread and cubed French baguette.
- STEP 2 – In a skillet over medium heat, melt a portion of the clarified butter. Add the onions, celery, and green bell peppers. Sauté until the vegetables are softened and translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat and let it cool slightly.
- STEP 3 – Add the sautéed vegetables to the bowl with the cornbread and baguette mixture. Toss gently to combine. Incorporate the hand-shredded roasted chicken into the bowl with the bread and vegetables.
- STEP 4 – In a separate bowl, whisk together the chicken broth, remaining clarified butter, beaten eggs, salt, black pepper, sage leaves, roasted garlic powder, and fresh thyme leaves.
- STEP 5 – Pour the wet mixture over the cornbread, vegetable, and chicken mixture. Gently fold everything together until evenly combined and the bread has absorbed the liquid.
- STEP 6 – Transfer the dressing mixture into the prepared baking dish, spreading it out evenly. Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- STEP 7 – After 30 minutes, remove the foil and continue baking for an additional 15-20 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the dressing is cooked through.
- STEP 8 – Once done, remove from the oven and let it rest for a few minutes before serving. Serve Bill Miller’s Cornbread Dressing warm as a delicious side dish for your meal. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Does this recipe freeze well?
Yes, this recipe does freeze well. To freeze, allow the dressing to cool completely before transferring to an airtight container. Freeze for up to 3 months.
2. Can I use canned cornbread?
Yes, you can use canned cornbread in this recipe. Just be sure to drain off any excess liquid before adding it to the dish.
3. Can I make this dish ahead of time?
Yes, you can make this dish ahead of time. Just assemble the dish and store in the refrigerator until ready to bake.
4. Can I use gluten-free bread crumbs?
Yes, gluten-free bread crumbs can be used in this recipe.
5. Can I use different seasonings?
Yes, you can use different seasonings in this recipe. Feel free to adjust the amounts and types of seasonings to suit your taste.
6. Can I make this recipe vegetarian-friendly?
Yes, this recipe can easily be made vegetarian-friendly. Just use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth and omit the butter.
7. Can I use fresh or frozen cornbread?
Yes, you can use either fresh or frozen cornbread in this recipe.
Bill Miller’s Cornbread Dressing Recipe is a delicious, unique take on the classic Southern favorite. The combination of cornbread, celery, onions, and seasonings create a flavorful dish that is sure to be a hit with family and friends.
The buttery crumb topping adds a creamy, crunchy texture that makes this dish truly special. With this easy-to-follow recipe, you can easily recreate this classic dish in your own kitchen.