Last Updated on January 29, 2024
Are you craving the delicious taste of Zaxby’s Chicken Fingers but don’t feel like going out? Look no further!
In this article, we will explore a homemade recipe for Zaxby’s Chicken Fingers that is sure to satisfy your taste buds.
Not only will you save money by making it at home, but you’ll also have the opportunity to customize the flavors to your liking. So let’s dive in and learn how to make this mouthwatering recipe!
What is Zaxby’s Chicken Fingers?
Zaxby’s Chicken Fingers are known for their perfectly breaded and seasoned chicken, crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.
This iconic recipe has won the hearts of many chicken lovers across the country. The secret to their success lies in the carefully selected blend of seasonings and the crispy coating that makes each bite an explosion of flavor.
Why You’ll Love this Zaxby’s Chicken Fingers Recipe?
By making this Zaxby’s Chicken Fingers at home, you’ll be able to enjoy all the wonderful flavors without leaving your kitchen.
You’ll also have the opportunity to tweak the recipe to suit your preferences, whether that means adjusting the spice level or experimenting with different breading options.
Plus, this recipe is surprisingly easy to make, so you won’t have to spend hours in the kitchen to create a delicious meal.
You will also like the following Dinner recipes!
- Copycat Brenda Gantt Chicken And Dumplings Recipe
- How to make Chipotle Tortilla
- Best Colorado Cache Prime Rib Recipe
To make Zaxby’s Chicken Fingers at home, you’ll need the following ingredients:
Tangy Low-Fat Buttermilk: Used as a marinade, the buttermilk tenderizes the chicken while infusing it with a tangy flavor. It helps break down proteins, resulting in juicy and flavorful chicken fingers.
Himalayan Pink Salt: Adds a nuanced mineral-rich flavor to the dish while seasoning the chicken. It enhances the overall taste profile, contributing to a well-balanced seasoning.
Freshly-Ground Tellicherry Black Pepper: Provides a bold and aromatic peppery flavor, enhancing the seasoning of the chicken and adding a pleasant heat to the dish.
Premium-Grade Peanut Oil: Used for frying, peanut oil has a high smoke point, creating crispy and golden chicken fingers while imparting a subtle nutty flavor.
Tender, Organic Chicken Breasts: Sliced into strips, these boneless and skinless chicken breasts are the star ingredient, providing a lean protein base for the dish.
Golden-Hued Unseasoned Breadcrumbs: Coats the chicken, forming a crispy outer layer when fried. It adds texture and helps seal in moisture, ensuring a crunchy exterior.
Fine-Textured All-Purpose Flour: Provides an initial coating for the chicken, assisting in the adherence of the breading and contributing to the crispy texture.
Free-Range Egg, Expertly Beaten: Acts as a binding agent, allowing the breadcrumbs and flour to adhere to the chicken, creating a uniform and crunchy coating.
Artisanal Corn Flakes, Delicately Crushed: Adds an extra crispiness and texture to the breading, resulting in a delightful crunch when fried.
Aromatic Italian Seasoning Blend: Enhances the overall flavor profile, infusing the chicken fingers with a savory and herbaceous taste reminiscent of Italian cuisine.
Step 1. Prep the Ingredients:
Gather all the required ingredients – tangy low-fat buttermilk, Himalayan pink salt, Tellicherry black pepper, premium-grade peanut oil, organic chicken breasts, breadcrumbs, all-purpose flour, free-range egg, artisanal corn flakes, and Italian seasoning blend.
Step 2. Prepare the Chicken:
Begin by cutting the tender, boneless, and skinless organic chicken breasts into strips or pieces suitable for making chicken fingers.
Step 3. Buttermilk Marinade:
In a bowl, pour 1/6 cup of tangy low-fat buttermilk. Add a pinch of Himalayan pink salt and freshly ground Tellicherry black pepper, approximately 1/8 teaspoon each, and mix thoroughly to create a seasoned buttermilk marinade.
Step 4. Marinate the Chicken:
Place the chicken strips into the seasoned buttermilk marinade, ensuring each piece is evenly coated. Cover the bowl and refrigerate, allowing the chicken to marinate for at least 30 minutes for enhanced flavor and tenderness.
Step 5. Preparing the Coating:
- Set up three separate shallow dishes for coating:
- Dish 1: Combine 1/6 cup of all-purpose flour with 1/4 teaspoon of Italian seasoning blend.
- Dish 2: Place 1/2 cup of delicately crushed artisanal corn flakes.
- Dish 3: Whisk 1/2 beaten free-range egg with the remaining seasoned buttermilk mixture.
Step 6. Coating the Chicken:
- Remove the marinated chicken strips from the buttermilk, allowing excess liquid to drip off.
- Coat each chicken strip by dredging it first in the seasoned flour mixture, then dipping it into the egg-buttermilk mixture, and finally, pressing it into the crushed corn flakes to ensure a thorough coating.
Step 7. Frying the Chicken:
- Heat 4 cups of premium peanut oil in a deep skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat until it reaches around 350°F (175°C).
- Carefully place the coated chicken strips into the hot oil, avoiding overcrowding. Fry until golden brown and the internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C), approximately 3-4 minutes per side.
Step 8. Drain and Serve:
- Use tongs or a slotted spoon to transfer the fried chicken fingers to a plate lined with paper towels to absorb excess oil.
- Serve the Zaxby’s-style chicken fingers while hot and crispy, accompanied by your preferred dipping sauce or side dishes.
Tips & Tricks:
To ensure your homemade Zaxby’s Chicken Fingers turn out perfectly, here are some tips and tricks to keep in mind:
– Use freshly crushed corn flakes for a crispier coating.
– For an extra kick of flavor, add a pinch of cayenne pepper to the coating mixture.
– If you prefer a thicker coating, double-dip the chicken in the beaten egg and coating mixture.
– To prevent the coating from becoming soggy, make sure the oil is hot enough before frying the chicken.
– For a healthier alternative, you can bake the chicken fingers instead of frying them. Simply preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C) and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
Here is the approximate nutritional information for Zaxby’s Chicken Fingers per serving:
– Calories: 350
– Total Fat: 12g
– Saturated Fat: 2g
– Cholesterol: 95mg
– Sodium: 480mg
– Total Carbohydrate: 26g
– Dietary Fiber: 2g
– Sugars: 1g
– Protein: 32g
Can I store Zaxby’s Chicken Fingers Recipe?
Yes, you can store the leftover Zaxby’s Chicken Fingers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When reheating, it is best to use the oven or toaster oven to maintain the crispiness of the coating. Simply preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C) and heat the chicken fingers for about 10 minutes until warmed through.
What can I serve with Zaxby’s Chicken Fingers Recipe?
Zaxby’s Chicken Fingers go well with a variety of sides. Here are some delicious options to consider:
– French fries or sweet potato fries
– Corn on the cob
– Baked beans
– Macaroni and cheese
– Garlic bread
– Fresh salad
If you’re looking to put a twist on the classic Zaxby’s Chicken Fingers recipe, here are some variations to consider:
1. Spicy Kick: Add a teaspoon of hot sauce or cayenne pepper to the marinade for a spicier chicken flavor.
2. Lemon Herb: Mix in some lemon zest, dried thyme, and oregano into the coating mixture for a fresh and zesty twist.
3. Parmesan Crusted: Replace the breadcrumbs in the coating mixture with grated Parmesan cheese for a cheesy and savory flavor.
4. BBQ Glaze: After frying the chicken fingers, brush them with your favorite BBQ sauce for a tangy and sweet finish.
5. Buffalo Style: Toss the cooked chicken fingers in buffalo sauce for a spicy and tangy kick.
- ¼ tsp Italian seasoning blend
- ⅛ tsp Himalayan pink salt
- ⅙ cup low-fat buttermilk
- ⅛ tsp freshly-ground black pepper
- ½ cup corn flakes delicately crushed
- ⅙ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ lb organic chicken breasts boneless and skinless
- ½ cup unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 4 cups peanut oil
- 1 egg beaten
Prep the Ingredients:
- Gather all the ingredients needed for the chicken fingers: tangy low-fat buttermilk, Himalayan pink salt, Tellicherry black pepper, premium-grade peanut oil, organic chicken breasts, breadcrumbs, all-purpose flour, free-range egg, artisanal corn flakes, and Italian seasoning blend.
Prepare the Chicken:
- Begin by cutting the tender, boneless, and skinless organic chicken breasts into finger-sized strips or pieces suitable for making chicken fingers.
- In a bowl, pour 1/6 cup of tangy low-fat buttermilk. Add a pinch (approximately 1/8 teaspoon each) of Himalayan pink salt and freshly ground Tellicherry black pepper. Mix the ingredients well to create a seasoned buttermilk marinade.
Marinate the Chicken:
- Place the chicken strips into the seasoned buttermilk marinade, ensuring each piece is coated thoroughly. Cover the bowl and let the chicken marinate for at least 30 minutes in the refrigerator. Marinating enhances flavor and tenderness.
Preparing the Coating:
- In separate shallow dishes, set up the coating stations:
- Dish 1: Combine 1/6 cup of fine-textured all-purpose flour with 1/4 teaspoon of aromatic Italian seasoning blend.
- Dish 2: Add 1/2 cup of delicately crushed artisanal corn flakes.
- Dish 3: Whisk together 1/2 beaten free-range egg with the remaining seasoned buttermilk mixture.
Coating the Chicken:
- Remove the marinated chicken strips from the buttermilk marinade, allowing excess liquid to drip off.
- Coat each chicken strip: first in the seasoned flour mixture, then in the egg-buttermilk mixture, and finally, in the crushed corn flakes, ensuring an even and thorough coating at each step.
Frying the Chicken:
- Heat 4 cups of premium-grade peanut oil in a deep skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat until it reaches around 350°F (175°C).
- Carefully place the coated chicken strips into the hot oil, ensuring not to overcrowd the pan. Fry the chicken fingers until they turn golden brown and reach an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C), typically around 3-4 minutes per side.
Drain and Serve:
- Once cooked, use tongs or a slotted spoon to transfer the crispy chicken fingers to a plate lined with paper towels to absorb excess oil.
- Serve the Zaxby’s-style chicken fingers hot and crispy, paired with your favorite dipping sauce or accompaniments.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q1: Can I use a different type of oil for frying?
A1: While peanut oil is the traditional choice for frying Zaxby’s Chicken Fingers, you can use other high-heat oils such as vegetable oil or canola oil as alternatives.
Q2: Can I freeze the chicken fingers?
A2: Yes, you can freeze the chicken fingers before frying them. Simply prepare the coating as directed and place the breaded chicken fingers on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Freeze them for a few hours, then transfer them to a freezer-safe bag or container. When ready to cook, fry them directly from frozen, adding a couple of minutes to the cooking time.
Q3: Can I use bone-in chicken for this recipe?
A3: While boneless and skinless chicken breasts are typically used for Zaxby’s Chicken Fingers, you can use bone-in chicken if desired. Just adjust the cooking time accordingly to ensure the chicken is cooked through.
Q4: Can I use a gluten-free coating?
A4: Yes, you can substitute the all-purpose flour and breadcrumbs with gluten-free alternatives such as almond flour and gluten-free breadcrumbs.
Q5: Can I make the chicken fingers without marinating them?
A5: While marinating the chicken in the buttermilk mixture adds extra flavor and tenderizes the meat, you can skip this step if you’re short on time. However, keep in mind that the chicken may not be as flavorful and juicy.
Now that you have the recipe for homemade Zaxby’s Chicken Fingers, you can enjoy this delicious dish whenever you want without leaving the comfort of your home. With a few simple ingredients and easy-to-follow instructions, you’ll be able to recreate the iconic flavors of Zaxby’s in your own kitchen.
Experiment with different variations and serve with your favorite sides for a complete meal. Whether you’re hosting a game night or just craving some finger-licking goodness, this recipe is sure to impress both family and friends.
So go ahead, grab your apron, and get ready to indulge in the irresistible taste of homemade Zaxby’s Chicken Fingers.