Last Updated on November 19, 2023
Hash browns are a classic breakfast staple that can be enjoyed for any meal of the day. While there are many variations of this breakfast dish, IHOP hash browns are a fan favorite.
In this blog post, we’ll discuss what makes IHOP hash browns so delicious, provide a step-by-step recipe for making them, and offer tips and variations to customize your breakfast.
What is ihop hash brown?
IHOP is a popular American restaurant chain specializing in breakfast foods. Their hash browns are made from shredded potatoes that are seasoned, fried in butter and oil, and served crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
They are typically served as a side dish to accompany breakfast entrees like eggs, bacon, and pancakes. IHOP hash browns are crispy on the outside, creamy on the inside, and full of flavor.
Why You’ll Love This ihop hash brown?
IHOP hash browns are a delicious and satisfying breakfast food that can be enjoyed any time of the day. They require minimal ingredients, are easy to make, and can be customized with your favorite seasonings and toppings.
Plus, they make a great side dish for any meal.
You will also like the following Side Dish recipes!
- Copycat Qdoba Citrus Lime Vinaigrette Recipe
- How to make Costco Tortellini Pasta Salad
- Easy Juan Pollo Rice Recipe
Russet potatoes: This is the best potato variety for making hash browns due to its high starch content, which results in a crispy exterior and creamy interior.
Salt: Helps season the potatoes and bring out their natural flavors.
Butter: Unsalted butter is melted and used for frying to add a rich, buttery flavor to the hash browns.
Vegetable oil: A neutral oil like canola or grapeseed is used for frying to achieve a crispy exterior on the hash browns.
Pepper: Adds a subtle heat and enhances the overall flavor of the dish.
Step by Step Instructions
Step 1: Greated:
First, start by peeling and grating the potatoes using a box grater or food processor with the shredding attachment.
Step 2: Rinse:
Once all the potatoes are grated, rinse them under cold water to remove any excess starch. This will help prevent the hash browns from sticking together and create a crispier texture.
Step 3: Dry:
Using a paper towel, pat the grated potatoes dry to remove any excess water.
Step 4: Season:
In a large mixing bowl, combine the grated potatoes, salt, and pepper.
Step 5: Heat Pan:
Heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat and add 2 tablespoons of butter and 1 tablespoon of oil.
Step 6: Add Potatoes:
Once the fat has melted and is sizzling, spread the potato mixture evenly in the pan.
Step 7: Press down:
Using a spatula, press the potatoes down to form an even layer.
Step 8: Cook:
Let the hash browns cook for 5-6 minutes on one side without disturbing them. This will allow the potatoes to develop a crispy exterior.
Step 9: Flip:
Use a spatula to flip sections of the hash browns and add more butter and oil as needed.
Step 10: Cook:
Cook for an additional 5-6 minutes until both sides are crispy and golden brown.
• Be sure to use a non-stick skillet so the potatoes don’t stick to the pan.
• If the potatoes start to stick to the pan, add a little more butter.
• You can customize the seasoning to your liking.
• For extra flavor, try adding grated Parmesan cheese or fresh herbs.
• Be sure to flip the potatoes a few times while cooking to ensure even cooking.
• For a vegetarian option, omit the butter and use vegetable oil instead.
How to Store ihop Hash Brown?
IHOP hash browns can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To reheat, simply place them in a skillet over medium-high heat and cook until they are hot and crispy.
• Cheesy Hash Browns: Add ½ cup of your favorite shredded cheese to the skillet with the potatoes.
• Veggie Hash Browns: Add ½ cup of your favorite chopped vegetables, such as bell peppers or onions, to the skillet with the potatoes.
• Spicy Hash Browns: Add a pinch of cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes to the skillet for a spicy kick.
• Herb Hash Browns: Add 1 tablespoon of fresh herbs, such as parsley or thyme, to the skillet for extra flavor.
• Southwestern Hash Browns: Add 1 tablespoon of taco seasoning to the skillet for a southwestern twist.
• Loaded Hash Browns: Top the cooked potatoes with shredded cheese, bacon, and green onions for a delicious loaded hash brown.
- a pan
- 2 scrubbed and peeled russet potatoes for a smoother texture
- 1/2 tsp salt for seasoning
- 8 oz unsalted & melted Butter preferably high-quality for a rich taste
- 4 tbsp healthy vegetable oil for frying, a neutral oil like canola or grapeseed works well to achieve a crisp exterior
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper for optimal flavor
- Grate the potatoes using a box grater or food processor with the shredding attachment.
- Rinse the grated potatoes under cold water to remove excess starch, then pat dry with a paper towel.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the grated potatoes, salt, and pepper.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat and add 2 tablespoons of butter and 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Once the fat has melted and is sizzling, spread the potato mixture evenly in the pan.
- Using a spatula, press the potatoes down to form an even layer.
- Let the hash browns cook for 5-6 minutes on one side without disturbing them.
- Flip the hash browns in sections using a spatula and add more butter and oil as needed.
- Cook for an additional 5-6 minutes until both sides are crispy and golden brown.
- Serve hot and enjoy your IHOP hash browns!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I make IHOP hash browns without butter?
Yes, you can use vegetable oil instead of butter for a vegetarian option.
Can I use frozen potatoes to make IHOP hash browns?
Yes, you can use frozen potatoes, but be sure to thaw them before cooking.
Can I use other seasonings to make IHOP hash browns?
Yes, feel free to customize the seasoning to your liking.
Can I reheat IHOP hash browns?
Yes, you can reheat IHOP hash browns in a skillet over medium-high heat until they are hot and crispy.
Can I freeze IHOP hash browns?
Yes, you can freeze IHOP hash browns in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
IHOP hash browns are a delicious breakfast food that can be enjoyed any time of the day. This recipe is easy to make and can be customized with your favorite seasonings and toppings.
Give this recipe a try and enjoy a delicious breakfast meal that the whole family will love!