Last Updated on November 20, 2023
Are you looking for a delicious and healthy salad recipe that you can make for your next occasion? If so, then you should definitely try the Costco Mediterranean Orzo Salad.
This recipe is a great way to get your daily dose of vitamins and minerals while also enjoying a unique and flavorful salad. It is a perfect side dish for any summer party or gathering. Plus, it is so easy to make and requires minimal effort.
So, if you are looking for a tasty and nutritious salad that will impress your guests, then you should definitely give the Costco Mediterranean Orzo Salad a try.
What is the Costco Mediterranean Orzo Salad?
Costco is a membership-based warehouse club offering bulk products at value prices. It sells pre-packaged meals, fresh produce, and cooking staples. Customers often share Costco-inspired recipes online, utilizing the store’s products in creative and cost-effective ways.
One of their items is the Costco Mediterranean Orzo Salad, which is a popular side dish that is made with orzo pasta, fresh vegetables, and a flavorful dressing.
The orzo pasta is boiled and then combined with diced tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, feta cheese, Kalamata olives, and a delicious vinaigrette dressing.
The combination of ingredients creates a flavorful and nutritious salad that is perfect for any occasion.
What does it taste like?
The Costco Mediterranean Orzo Salad has a unique and delicious flavor. The orzo pasta has a slightly chewy texture, and the vegetables provide a crunchy and fresh taste. The feta cheese adds a salty and creamy flavor while the olives provide a hint of brine.
The dressing is a blend of olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and oregano which gives the salad a zesty flavor. The end result is a flavorful and nutritious salad that will be sure to please your guests!
You will also like the following Side Dish recipes!
- Copycat Costco Frozen Vegetables
- How to make Joanna Gaines Potato Soup
- Qdoba Citrus Lime Vinaigrette Easy Recipe
- Orzo Pasta: small, rice-shaped pasta that cooks to al dente perfection, providing a versatile base for the salad.
- Fresh spinach: vibrant, nutrient-rich green leaves, finely chopped to enhance the salad’s color and texture.
- Kalamata Olives: Plump and briny olives, thinly sliced for a burst of savory flavor, adding a Mediterranean touch.
- Feta Cheese: creamy and tangy cheese, crumbled to perfection, bringing a rich and satisfying texture to the salad.
- Calabrese Salami: high-quality, diced salami elevating the salad with its savory and robust flavor profile.
- Cherry Tomatoes: Sweet and juicy tomatoes, halved to provide bursts of freshness and vibrant color.
- Sun-Dried Tomatoes: Intensely flavorful tomatoes, chopped finely to infuse the salad with a concentrated taste.
- Mediterranean Vinaigrette: A flavorful dressing that ties all the ingredients together, enhancing the overall Mediterranean experience.
Step by Step Directions
Step 1: Cook the Orzo
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the orzo pasta and cook according to the package instructions. Drain the orzo and let it cool.
Step 2: Prepare the Vegetables
Dice the cucumber, tomatoes, and red onion.
Step 3: Assemble the Salad
In a large bowl, combine the cooked orzo, diced vegetables, feta cheese, and Kalamata olives.
Step 4: Make the Dressing
In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper.
Step 5: Combine the Salad
Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine.
Step 6: Serve
Serve the salad immediately or chill it in the refrigerator for up to 4 hours before serving.
• Use a good quality olive oil for the best flavor.
• You can use any type of olive in this salad.
• You can substitute the feta cheese with any other type of cheese.
• For extra crunch, add some toasted pine nuts to the salad.
• If you don’t have fresh tomatoes, you can use canned diced tomatoes.
• You can substitute the oregano with any other type of herb.
One serving of Costco Mediterranean Orzo Salad contains approximately 250 calories, 11 grams of fat, 6 grams of protein, 34 grams of carbohydrates, and 3 grams of fiber.
What to Serve with Costco Mediterranean Orzo Salad?
Enhance your Costco Mediterranean Orzo Salad by pairing it with delightful options like-
• Grilled chicken;
• Grilled shrimp;
• Roasted vegetables;
• Baked fish;
• Roasted potatoes;
• Greek salad;
How to Store Leftover Costco Mediterranean Orzo Salad?
Leftover Costco Mediterranean Orzo Salad can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Store leftover Costco Mediterranean Orzo Salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Ensure it’s consumed within 2-3 days for the best taste and freshness.
What Other Substitutes Can I Use in Costco Mediterranean Orzo Salad?
1. Quinoa: Nutrient-rich and protein-packed seed, a great alternative to orzo for a healthier twist.
2. Brown Rice: Whole grain option with a nutty flavor, adding a wholesome element to the salad.
3. Farro: Ancient grain known for its chewy texture and nutty taste, providing a hearty and nutritious substitute.
4. Bulgur Wheat: Precooked and cracked wheat, offering a quick-cooking, fiber-rich option.
5. Barley: Hearty and chewy whole grain, imparting a satisfying texture to the salad.
6. Chickpeas: Protein-packed legumes, bringing a substantial and filling element to the dish.
7. Lentils: Nutrient-dense legumes, offering a protein boost and earthy flavor to the salad.
8. Cauliflower Rice: Low-carb alternative, finely chopped cauliflower providing a light and crunchy texture.
- 1 cup creamy feta cheese crumbled – Indulge in the creamy richness of perfectly crumbled feta.
- 3 cups vibrant fresh spinach finely chopped – Embrace the greenery with finely chopped spinach leaves.
- 1 cup orzo pasta – Cook the orzo to perfection for a delightful al dente texture.
- 1 cup diced Calabrese salami high-quality – Elevate the flavor profile with high-quality diced Calabrese salami.
- 1.5 cups sweet cherry tomatoes halved – Add sweetness with halved cherry tomatoes for a colorful and juicy element.
- 0.5 cup sun-dried tomatoes finely chopped – Intensify the flavor with finely chopped, intensely flavorful sun-dried tomatoes.
- 0.5 cup plump Kalamata olives thinly sliced – Enhance the briny goodness with thinly sliced, plump Kalamata olives for an added burst of flavor.
- Cook Orzo: Cook the orzo pasta according to the package instructions. Once cooked, drain and let it cool.
- Prepare Ingredients: While the orzo is cooking, chop the fresh spinach, slice the Kalamata olives, crumble the feta cheese, dice the Calabrese salami, halve the cherry tomatoes, and chop the sun-dried tomatoes.
- Combine Ingredients: In a large mixing bowl, combine the cooked and cooled orzo, chopped spinach, sliced olives, crumbled feta cheese, diced Calabrese salami, cherry tomatoes, and sun-dried tomatoes.
- Add Dressing: Pour your favorite Mediterranean vinaigrette over the salad. Start with a small amount and add more to taste. Toss the salad gently to coat all the ingredients evenly.
- Chill: Place the salad in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving to allow the flavors to meld.
- Serve: Once chilled, give the salad a final toss and serve. You can garnish with additional feta cheese or fresh herbs if desired.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. How long can I store the leftover Costco Mediterranean Orzo Salad?
A1. Leftover Costco Mediterranean Orzo Salad can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Q2. Can I use canned diced tomatoes in this recipe?
A2. Yes, you can use canned diced tomatoes in this recipe if you don’t have fresh tomatoes.
Q3. Is Costco Mediterranean Orzo Salad a healthy dish?
A3. Yes, Costco Mediterranean Orzo Salad is a healthy dish as it is packed with vitamins and minerals.
Q4. Can I substitute the feta cheese with any other type of cheese?
A4. Yes, you can substitute the feta cheese with any other type of cheese.
Q5. What other types of grains can I use in this recipe?
A5. You can use quinoa, brown rice, farro, bulgur wheat, barley, chickpeas, lentils, or cauliflower rice in this recipe.
Q6. Can I make the Costco Mediterranean Orzo Salad ahead of time?
A6. Yes, you can make the Costco Mediterranean Orzo Salad ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator for up to 4 hours before serving.
Q7. Can I double the recipe?
A7. Yes, you can double the recipe if you are serving a larger crowd.
Costco Mediterranean Orzo Salad is a flavorful and nutritious dish that is perfect for any occasion.
It is made with orzo pasta, fresh vegetables, and a delicious dressing and can be served as a side dish or main course.
In addition, it is so easy to make and requires minimal effort.
So, if you are looking for a tasty and healthy salad recipe, then you should definitely give the Costco Mediterranean Orzo Salad a try.