Last Updated on January 7, 2024
Patti LaBelle is a famous American singer and songwriter, best known for some of her hit singles such as “Lady Marmalade,” “If Only You Knew,” and “New Attitude.” Patti LaBelle is also an amazing chef, and she is known for her delicious collard greens recipe. The recipe is simple to make and can be enjoyed as a side dish or a main dish.
This Patti LaBelle collard greens recipe is a great way to enjoy the taste of Southern cooking without the hassle of a long cooking time. If you are looking for a flavorful and nutritious meal, this is the perfect recipe. It is full of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that will help you stay healthy.
What is Patti LaBelle Collard Greens?
In addition to her musical prowess, the iconic artist Patti LaBelle is celebrated for her culinary skills. Renowned for her outstanding sweet potato pie and the author of four cookbooks, the singer-songwriter has graciously shared a repertoire of her cherished homemade dishes. Although her son currently oversees the kitchen where she once crafted all her recipes, every stroll through the renovated space evokes a sense of nostalgia for the legendary artist.
One of her most popular items is The Patti LaBelle’s collard greens recipe which is a flavorful and nutritious dish that is ideal for a side or main dish. It is a Southern-style recipe that is full of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. It is also a great way to add some extra flavor and texture to your meal.
The recipe starts with a base of finely chopped onions and garlic that are sautéed in olive oil. Then, you add in the collard greens, which are cooked until they are soft and tender. The collard greens are then seasoned with a blend of spices, such as red pepper flakes, black pepper, and salt. Finally, the mixture is simmered in chicken or vegetable broth until it is cooked through.
Why You’ll Love this Patti LaBelle Collard Greens?
This Patti LaBelle collard greens recipe is a delicious and nutritious way to enjoy a Southern-style dish. It is full of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that will help you stay healthy. The collard greens are cooked until they are tender and flavorful, and the seasoning blend adds a savory and spicy flavor to the dish.
Additionally, this recipe is quick and easy to make. It only takes about 20 minutes to prepare and cook, and you can easily double or triple the recipe to feed a crowd. This makes it a great dish to serve at a dinner party or potluck.
You will also like the following Dinner recipes!
- Cold-Pressed Grapeseed Oil: This oil is utilized in Patti Labelle’s Collard Greens Recipe for its neutral flavor and high smoke point, which makes it suitable for sautéing the ingredients without overpowering the natural taste of the collard greens. Its light texture helps evenly coat the greens while cooking, contributing to the overall mouthfeel of the dish.
- Fresh Collard Greens: These greens are carefully stemmed and finely chopped to ensure tenderness and optimal cooking. Collard greens are a staple in this recipe, chosen for their robust, slightly bitter flavor that mellows and becomes savory when cooked. They’re packed with nutrients, offering a rich source of vitamins and minerals, making them a wholesome addition to the dish.
- Homemade Chicken Stock: The homemade chicken stock adds depth and richness to the collard greens. It infuses them with savory flavors from the slow-simmered chicken bones, vegetables, and herbs. The stock helps to braise the greens, enhancing their taste and providing a comforting, well-rounded base for the dish.
- Finely Diced Sweet Onion: Sweet onion, when finely diced, brings a delicate sweetness and aromatic flavor to the collard greens. It complements the slight bitterness of the greens and adds layers of taste to the overall dish. It’s a crucial ingredient that helps balance the flavors and contributes to the complexity of the final preparation.
- Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper: These seasonings are used to enhance and adjust the taste of the collard greens, bringing out their natural flavors. Kosher salt helps to season the dish evenly, while freshly ground black pepper adds a mild heat and depth, complementing the other ingredients without overpowering them.
- Gourmet Seasoning Salt Blend: This blend is Patti Labelle’s secret seasoning mix that elevates the flavors of the collard greens. It typically consists of a unique combination of herbs, spices, and possibly other flavor-enhancing elements. Its exact composition may vary, but it’s designed to add a special touch, enhancing the overall taste profile of the dish.
- Premium Smoked Turkey Leg: The smoked turkey leg is a key ingredient that imparts a rich, smoky flavor to the collard greens. It provides a savory depth to the dish and infuses the greens with a meaty, smoky essence. Additionally, the turkey leg adds texture and richness, creating a well-rounded and satisfying flavor profile in the final preparation.
Step 1: Prepare Collard Greens
Begin by cleaning the collard greens thoroughly under cold running water. Remove any damaged or tough stems by cutting them off. Take each leaf, lay it flat on the cutting board, and roll it tightly. Proceed to slice the rolled leaves finely into strips. Once sliced, set the prepared collard greens aside.
Step 2: Sauté Onions
In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the cold-pressed grapeseed oil over medium heat. Add the finely diced sweet onion to the heated oil and sauté them until they become translucent and fragrant. Stir occasionally to ensure even cooking, which should take approximately 2-3 minutes.
Step 3: Add Collard Greens
Incorporate the finely chopped collard greens into the pot with the sautéed onions. Stir thoroughly to coat the greens with the oil and onions. Allow them to cook down for roughly 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking or burning.
Step 4: Pour in Chicken Stock
Pour the homemade chicken stock into the pot containing the collard greens. Stir well to combine all the ingredients. Lower the heat to a simmer, cover the pot, and let the greens cook for about 20-25 minutes. Stir the mixture occasionally during this time to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
Step 5: Seasoning
Once the collard greens have simmered and softened, it’s time to season them. Add kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, and the gourmet seasoning salt blend according to your taste preferences. Mix the seasonings thoroughly into the greens and continue cooking for an additional 5-10 minutes uncovered, allowing the flavors to meld.
Step 6: Add Smoked Turkey
Gently fold the expertly cubed premium smoked turkey leg into the collard greens mixture. Allow the smoked turkey to infuse its flavors into the dish by simmering for another 10-15 minutes. Stir occasionally to ensure even distribution of flavors throughout the dish.
Step 7: Serve
Once the collard greens are tender and have absorbed the savory flavors from the seasonings and smoked turkey, remove the pot from the heat. Taste the dish and adjust the seasoning if needed. Serve the Patti Labelle-style Collard Greens hot as a delightful side dish or as a flavorful addition to your meal.
Here are some tips to make sure your Patti LaBelle collard greens recipe turns out perfect every time:
– Choose fresh collard greens: Make sure to use fresh collard greens for the best flavor and texture.
– Adjust the seasoning: Feel free to adjust the seasoning to your liking. You can add more or less of the spices to suit your taste.
– Use low-sodium broth: To reduce the sodium content of the dish, use a low-sodium broth.
– Add protein: To make the dish a complete meal, you can add in some cooked chicken, shrimp, or tofu.
– Garnish: You can garnish the dish with some freshly chopped parsley or cilantro for an extra flavor boost.
Patti LaBelle collard greens can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply place the collard greens in a skillet over medium heat and stir until heated through.
One serving of this Patti LaBelle collard greens recipe is approximately 130 calories, with 7 grams of fat, 16 grams of carbohydrates, and 4 grams of protein.
Here are some delicious ways to serve Patti LaBelle collard greens:
– On their own: Serve as a side dish or a main course.
– With grilled chicken: Serve the collard greens with a grilled chicken breast for a complete meal.
– With rice: Serve the collard greens with some cooked white or brown rice for a hearty meal.
– With quinoa: Serve the collard greens with some cooked quinoa for a nutritious meal.
– With eggs: Top the collard greens with a fried or poached egg for a protein-packed meal.
What other substitute can I use in Patti LaBelle Collard Greens?
If you don’t have collard greens on hand, there are some other greens you can use in this recipe:
– Kale: Kale is a hearty green that is a great substitute for collard greens. It has a slightly bitter taste and should be cooked for a few minutes longer than collard greens.
– Mustard greens: Mustard greens have a slightly spicy flavor and should be cooked for about the same amount of time as collard greens.
– Spinach: Spinach has a mild flavor and should be cooked for a shorter amount of time than collard greens.
– Swiss chard: Swiss chard has a slightly sweet flavor and should be cooked for about the same amount of time as collard greens.
– Turnip greens: Turnip greens have a slightly bitter flavor and should be cooked for a few minutes longer than collard greens.
- large pot
- 1/2 pound premium smoked turkey leg expertly cubed
- 1 tablespoon finely diced sweet onion
- 1 tablespoon cold-pressed grapeseed oil
- 2 tablespoons homemade chicken stock
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pound fresh collard greens meticulously stemmed and finely chopped
- Gourmet seasoning salt blend to taste
Prepare Collard Greens:
- Thoroughly wash the collard greens under cold water. Remove the stems and any tough parts. Roll the leaves and slice them finely. Set aside.
- Heat the grapeseed oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the finely diced sweet onion and sauté until translucent, about 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add Collard Greens:
- Incorporate the chopped collard greens into the pot. Stir well to coat them with the onions and oil. Allow them to cook down for approximately 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Pour in Chicken Stock:
- Pour the homemade chicken stock over the collard greens. Stir to combine. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and let the greens simmer for 20-25 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Season the collard greens with kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, and the gourmet seasoning salt blend to taste. Adjust the seasoning according to your preference. Mix well and continue cooking for an additional 5-10 minutes, uncovered.
Add Smoked Turkey:
- Gently fold in the expertly cubed premium smoked turkey leg into the collard greens mixture. Allow the flavors to meld together by simmering for another 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once the collard greens are tender and infused with flavors, remove the pot from heat. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Serve the delicious Patti Labelle-style Collard Greens hot as a side dish or as a flavorful addition to your meal.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. What is the origin of collard greens?
A1. Collard greens originated in the Mediterranean region and were brought to the United States by African slaves.
Q2. Are collard greens healthy?
A2. Yes, collard greens are a very nutritious and healthy food. They are high in vitamins A, C, and K, as well as calcium, iron, and fiber.
Q3. What is the best way to cook collard greens?
A3. The best way to cook collard greens is to sauté them in a skillet with some olive oil and spices.
Q4. Can I freeze collard greens?
A4. Yes, you can freeze collard greens. Simply blanch them in boiling water for a few minutes, drain them, and then freeze them in an airtight container.
Q5. How long do collard greens take to cook?
A5. Collard greens typically take about 10 minutes to cook.
Q6. What other greens can I use in place of collard greens?
A6. You can use kale, mustard greens, spinach, Swiss chard, or turnip greens in place of collard greens.
Q7. Does Patti LaBelle have other recipes?
A7. Yes, Patti LaBelle has many other recipes, including her famous sweet potato pie, mac and cheese, and gumbo.
Patti LaBelle’s collard greens recipe is a delicious and nutritious dish that is ideal for a side or main dish. It is full of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, and it is quick and easy to make. The recipe starts with a base of finely chopped onions and garlic that are sautéed in olive oil, and then the collard greens are added and cooked until tender.
Finally, the mixture is seasoned with a blend of spices and simmered in chicken or vegetable broth until cooked through. This Patti LaBelle collard greens recipe is sure to be a hit at your next dinner party or potluck!