Last Updated on November 9, 2023
Mushrooms are one of the most beloved ingredients in the world of cooking. They are incredibly versatile and can be used to make a range of dishes, from soups and salads to main dishes and side dishes. One of the most popular mushroom dishes is longhorn stuffed mushrooms, a delicious and flavorful recipe that is sure to impress your guests.
In this blog post, we’ll take a look at what longhorn stuffed mushrooms are, why you’ll love this recipe, the ingredients you’ll need, the directions for making this dish, and some helpful storage tips and serving suggestions. We’ll also discuss what other substitutes you can use for this recipe and answer some frequently asked questions.
What is longhorn stuffed mushroom?
Longhorn is a type of mushroom** with a large, round cap and a thick stem. They are commonly used in cooking as they have a rich and earthy flavor that pairs well with a variety of ingredients. Stuffed mushrooms, on the other hand, refer to any type of mushroom that has been filled with a filling or stuffing before being cooked.
Longhorn stuffed mushrooms is a delicious and savory dish that combines the hearty flavor of mushrooms with the bold and smoky flavor of longhorn cheese. The mushrooms are stuffed with a mixture of longhorn cheese, breadcrumbs, and spices, then baked in the oven until the cheese is melted and the mushrooms are cooked through. This is a great dish to serve as an appetizer or as a side dish, and it can easily be adapted to suit your tastes.
Why You’ll Love this longhorn stuffed mushroom?
This longhorn stuffed mushroom recipe is a great way to add some flavor and flair to your meal. The longhorn cheese gives the mushrooms a smoky flavor, while the breadcrumbs add a light and crispy texture.
The spices add just the right amount of heat, and the mushrooms are cooked to perfection in the oven. This dish is sure to be a hit with your family and friends, and it can be easily adapted to suit your taste.
You will also like the following Appetizer recipes!
To make this longhorn stuffed mushroom recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
Parmesan Panko Mushrooms
White Button mushrooms: This is the main ingredient for this recipe. Look for fresh and plump mushrooms to ensure they hold up well during the cooking process.
Breadcrumbs: Use plain breadcrumbs for this recipe, or add some Italian seasoning for an extra burst of flavor.
Herb Pub Cheese: This cheese has a mix of herbs and spices, making it perfect for adding flavor to any dish. If you can’t find it, you can substitute with cream cheese and add some dried herbs.
Half and half: This is used to make the filling creamy and helps bind all the ingredients together.
Parmesan cheese: The finely grated Parmesan cheese adds a nutty and salty flavor to the dish. You can also use Pecorino Romano or Asiago cheese if preferred.
Provolone cheese: This adds a hint of smokiness to the filling. If you don’t have provolone, you can substitute with any other smoky cheese.
White Cheddar Sauce
Cheddar cheese (white): White cheddar has a sharper and tangier flavor than regular cheddar, making it perfect for this sauce.
Flour: This is used to coat the cheese, helping it melt and thicken the sauce.
Dry mustard: Adds a subtle spice and tang to the sauce.
Half and half: This is used to make the sauce creamy and gives it a silky texture.
Mayonnaise or sour cream: Either of these can be used to give the sauce a creamy base. If you prefer a tangier flavor, use sour cream.
White wine (dry): This adds a hint of acidity and depth of flavor to the sauce. If you don’t have white wine, you can use chicken or vegetable broth instead.
Worcestershire sauce: Adds a savory and slightly tangy flavor to the sauce.
Pepper: A dash of black pepper adds some heat and rounds out the flavors in the sauce.
To make this longhorn stuffed mushroom recipe, follow these simple steps:
Step 1: Preheat the oven:
Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Step 2: Prepare the mushrooms:
Wash and dry the mushrooms, then remove the stems and gills using a spoon or knife. This will create a cavity for the filling to be added in.
Step 3: Make the filling:
In a mixing bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, herb pub cheese, half and half, Parmesan cheese, and provolone cheese. Mix until well combined.
Step 4: Stuff the mushrooms:
Spoon the filling into each mushroom cap, pressing down lightly to pack it in.
Step 5: Bake:
Place the stuffed mushrooms on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the mushrooms are tender and the filling is golden brown.
Step 6: Make the white cheddar sauce:
While the mushrooms are baking, make the white cheddar sauce. In a small saucepan, melt the white cheddar cheese over medium heat. Add in flour and stir until melted and smooth. Then add in the dry mustard, half and half, mayonnaise or sour cream, white wine, Worcestershire sauce, and pepper. Stir until well combined and smooth.
Step 7: Serve:
Once the mushrooms are done baking, transfer them to a serving dish and drizzle the white cheddar sauce over them. Garnish with fresh herbs if desired and serve hot.
Here are some helpful tips and tricks to keep in mind when making this longhorn stuffed mushroom recipe:
* If you don’t have any longhorn cheese on hand, you can substitute mozzarella or cheddar cheese.
* You can use any type of mushrooms you like for this recipe. Baby bella mushrooms are the most popular, but you can also use portobello mushrooms or white mushrooms.
* If you don’t have any breadcrumbs on hand, you can substitute crushed crackers or crumbled tortilla chips.
* Feel free to experiment with different spices to suit your tastes.
* You can also add other ingredients to the stuffing, such as cooked bacon, diced onions, or chopped bell peppers.
* If you want to make this recipe healthier, you can use low-fat cheese and reduced-fat mayonnaise.
These longhorn stuffed mushrooms will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply place the mushrooms in the oven at 350°F for 10-15 minutes, or until they are heated through.
One serving of this longhorn stuffed mushroom recipe is about
Here are some great serving suggestions to accompany this longhorn stuffed mushroom recipe:
Salad: Serve the mushrooms with a fresh green salad for a light and healthy meal.
Vegetables: Serve the mushrooms with roasted vegetables for a delicious and nutritious side dish.
Rice: Serve the mushrooms with cooked brown or white rice for a complete meal.
Pasta: Serve the mushrooms with cooked pasta for a hearty and flavorful meal.
Soup: Serve the mushrooms with a hot bowl of soup for a comforting and satisfying meal.
What other substitute can I use in longhorn stuffed mushroom?
If you can’t find or don’t want to use any of the ingredients listed, here are some alternative substitutions you can try:
- Instead of herb pub cheese, you can use cream cheese and add your own herbs and spices.
- If you’re dairy-free, you can substitute the Parmesan and provolone cheese with vegan alternatives.
- For a gluten-free option, you can use gluten-free breadcrumbs or crushed gluten-free crackers.
- Instead of half and half, you can use heavy cream or milk.
- You can substitute the mayonnaise or sour cream with plain Greek yogurt for a healthier option.
- If you don’t have white wine, chicken or vegetable broth will work as a substitute. Overall, feel free to experiment with different ingredients to make this recipe your own! The possibilities are endless. Enjoy!
- Double boiler
For Parmesan Panko Mushrooms:
- 10 White Button Mushrooms – Tender and earthy white button mushrooms serve as the perfect vessel for the flavorful fillings. Their delicate flavor intensifies as they cook, creating a savory base for the dish. When roasted or sautéed, these mushrooms develop a rich, umami taste, enhancing the overall depth of the dish.
- Finely Grated Parmesan Cheese – Finely grated Parmesan cheese adds a sharp nutty flavor and a granular texture to the dish. When sprinkled on top, it forms a golden, crispy crust when baked, creating a delightful contrast to the creamy fillings. Parmesan cheese’s intense flavor profile enhances the mushrooms with a satisfying, umami richness.
- 1 1/2 Slices Provolone Cheese Roughly Chopped – Creamy and mildly tangy, provolone cheese melts beautifully, enveloping the mushrooms in a velvety embrace. Its subtle smokiness and smooth texture complement the other cheeses, creating a harmonious blend of flavors. Provolone cheese adds a creamy, gooey layer to the dish, enhancing its overall decadence.
- 3/4 Cup Herb Pub Cheese – Creamy and herb-infused herb pub cheese brings a burst of savory flavors to the mushrooms. This velvety spread blends a medley of herbs, enhancing the mushrooms with a delightful herbal aroma and a luxurious, cheesy texture. Its rich, tangy notes add a zesty punch to every bite, elevating the overall taste experience.
- 1/4 Cup Panko Breadcrumbs – Panko breadcrumbs lend a satisfying crunch to the dish. Lighter and airier than traditional breadcrumbs they create a crispy, golden exterior when baked or fried. The panko coating adds a delightful texture contrast, enhancing the overall mouthfeel of the stuffed mushrooms.
- 1 Tablespoon Half and Half – Half and half with its equal parts of milk and cream, enriches the filling, adding a luxurious creaminess. It ensures a smooth consistency, binding the cheeses and herbs together, creating a cohesive and indulgent mixture. The addition of half and half imparts a velvety texture to the filling, making it irresistibly creamy.
For White Cheddar Sauce (Making 1/2 Cup):
- 1/2 Tablespoon Flour Optional – Flour acts as a thickening agent, creating a silky and velvety sauce. When combined with the cheese, it forms a roux, ensuring the sauce has the perfect consistency. The flour thickens the sauce, allowing it to cling to the mushrooms and coat them in a delectable, cheesy layer.
- 2 Tablespoons Half and Half – Half and half adds a rich creamy texture to the sauce, making it velvety and indulgent. It ensures the sauce is not too thick, allowing it to gracefully cascade over the mushrooms. The addition of half and half contributes to the sauce’s luxurious mouthfeel, creating a smooth and creamy experience with every bite.
- 1/16 Cup Dry White Wine – Dry white wine brings a subtle acidity and depth to the sauce. Its fruity undertones and aromatic qualities enhance the overall flavor profile balancing the richness of the cheese. As it simmers, the alcohol evaporates, leaving behind a complex, nuanced wine essence that elevates the sauce’s taste.
- 1/2 Cup White Cheddar Cheese Tossed in Flour Room Temp – White cheddar cheese, coated in flour, creates a smooth, lump-free sauce when melted. Its sharp, tangy flavor profile adds depth and richness to the sauce. When heated, the cheese becomes velvety, enveloping the dish in a creamy, cheesy goodness. The flour coating ensures a silky, homogeneous texture, making the sauce luxuriously smooth.
- 1/16 Teaspoon Dry Mustard – Dry mustard adds a subtle heat and pungency to the sauce. Its sharp spicy notes awaken the taste buds, cutting through the richness of the cheese. The dry mustard intensifies the sauce’s flavors, creating a well-rounded and satisfying taste experience.
- 1/8 Teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce – Worcestershire sauce adds a savory umami richness to the sauce. Its complex blend of flavors, including anchovies, tamarind, and spices, enhances the overall depth of the sauce. The Worcestershire sauce’s unique taste profile contributes to the sauce’s complexity, adding a delightful hint of smokiness and tang.
- 1/4 Cup Mayonnaise Can Substitute Sour Cream – Creamy and tangy, mayonnaise adds a velvety smoothness to the sauce. Its rich, indulgent texture melds seamlessly with the other ingredients, creating a luscious and creamy sauce. The mayonnaise contributes to the sauce’s luxurious consistency, ensuring it clings to the mushrooms and coats them in a delectable layer of cheesy goodness.
- 1 Dash Pepper – Freshly ground black pepper adds a gentle heat and sharpness enhancing the overall flavor complexity of the sauce. Its aromatic warmth adds depth and contrast, accentuating the other ingredients. The dash of pepper elevates the sauce’s taste, providing a balanced spiciness that tantalizes the palate.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Wash and dry the mushrooms, then remove the stems and gills using a spoon or knife.
- In a double boiler, melt the herb pub cheese and half and half together until smooth.
- Add in the breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, and provolone cheese to the melted mixture and stir until well combined.
- Spoon the filling into each mushroom cap, pressing down lightly to pack it in.
- Place the stuffed mushrooms on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the filling is golden brown and the mushrooms are tender.
- In a separate pan, make the white cheddar sauce by tossing cheddar cheese in flour over medium heat until melted and smooth.
- Add in the dry mustard, half and half, mayonnaise or sour cream, white wine, Worcestershire sauce, and pepper. Stir until well combined.
- Cook the sauce for an additional 5-7 minutes, or until thickened to desired consistency.
- Serve the stuffed mushrooms with the white cheddar sauce drizzled over them, garnished with some fresh herbs if desired.
Frequently Asked Questions
What type of cheese can I use in this longhorn stuffed mushroom?
You can use longhorn cheese, mozzarella cheese, or cheddar cheese.
Can I use any type of mushrooms for this recipe?
Yes, you can use any type of mushrooms you like for this recipe, from baby bella mushrooms to portobello mushrooms or white mushrooms.
Can I substitute the breadcrumbs?
Yes, you can substitute the breadcrumbs with crushed crackers or crumbled tortilla chips.
Can I add other ingredients to the stuffing?
Yes, you can add other ingredients to the stuffing, such as cooked bacon, diced onions, or chopped bell peppers.
Is this longhorn stuffed mushroom recipe healthy?
Yes, this longhorn stuffed mushroom recipe is relatively healthy.
Can I make this longhorn stuffed mushroom recipe vegan?
Yes, you can easily make this longhorn stuffed mushroom recipe vegan by using vegan cheese and vegan mayonnaise.
Longhorn stuffed mushrooms is a delicious and savory dish that combines the hearty flavor of mushrooms with the bold and smoky flavor of longhorn cheese. This dish is sure to be a hit with your family and friends, and it can be easily adapted to suit your taste.
Whether you’re looking for a tasty appetizer or a satisfying main course, this recipe is perfect for any occasion. So why not give it a try and see for yourself?
We guarantee that these longhorn stuffed mushrooms will become a regular addition to your dinner menu! Thank you for reading! Enjoy your delicious longhorn stuffed mushrooms!