Last Updated on November 9, 2023
Old timer bacon recipe is an all-time favorite bacon dish that has been around for many generations. It has a unique flavor that is both savory and sweet, and is a great accompaniment to many meals.
Many people enjoy this recipe for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, and it is a great way to bring a classic flavor to the table. This recipe is easy to make, and it is sure to please everyone who tries it.
What is old timers bacon?
Old timer bacon recipe is a classic bacon dish that originated in the United States. It is made with bacon, onions, green peppers, flour, and milk. The bacon is cooked until crispy, and then the onions and green peppers are added to the pan to cook until soft.
Flour is then added to thicken the mixture, and finally, milk is added to create a creamy sauce.
What does it taste like?
Old timer bacon recipe has a unique flavor that is both savory and sweet. The bacon is cooked until it is crispy and slightly caramelized, and the onions are caramelized until they are soft and sweet.
The green peppers add a slight crunch and freshness to the dish. The flour and milk create a creamy sauce that brings all the flavors together.This dish has a complex flavor that is delicious and sure to please anyone who tries it.
You will also like the following Lunch recipes!
Bacons: This is the core ingredient of the dish and is responsible for its unique flavor. It is recommended to use thick-sliced bacon to achieve the perfect texture.
Flour: It helps to thicken the sauce and adds a slight nutty flavor to the dish.
Onion: The caramelized onions add sweetness and depth of flavor to this dish.
Milk: This creates a creamy sauce that brings all the flavors together.
Green peppers: The addition of green peppers adds a slight crunch and freshness to this dish. If you prefer a spicier version, you can also add some diced jalapenos or chili peppers.
Step 1: Cook becon:
Start by cooking the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until it is crispy. Once done, remove the bacon from the skillet and set it aside on a plate lined with paper towels to drain excess oil.
Step 2: Cook vegetables:
In the same skillet, add the chopped onions and green peppers and cook until they are soft and caramelized.
Step 3: Add flour:
Sprinkle flour over the vegetables and stir continuously for 1-2 minutes until it is well combined.
Step 4: Pour in milk:
Slowly pour in the milk, stirring constantly to avoid any lumps from forming.
Step 5: Thicken sauce:
Let the mixture simmer for 3-4 minutes until it thickens and becomes creamy.
Step 6: Add cooked bacon:
Finally, add the cooked bacon back into the skillet and stir to combine with the sauce.
Step 7: Serve hot:
Serve hot as a side dish or over toast for a delicious breakfast option. You can also top it with some shredded cheese or chopped herbs for added flavor.
– If you want to make the bacon extra crispy, cook it in a separate skillet and add it to the onions and butter at the end.
– For a sweeter flavor, add a tablespoon of maple syrup to the skillet.
– For a smokier flavor, add a teaspoon of smoked paprika to the skillet.
– If you like a little bit of heat, add a pinch of cayenne pepper to the skillet.
– Cook the bacon over medium-high heat for the best result.
A serving of old timer bacon recipe contains approximately
What to serve with old timers bacon?
Pancakes: Pancakes are a classic accompaniment to old timer bacon recipe.
Eggs: Eggs are a great way to add protein to this dish.
Mashed Potatoes: Mashed potatoes are a great side dish to pair with old timer bacon recipe.
Biscuits: Biscuits are a great way to add a bit of crunch to this dish.
Greens: Greens are a great way to add some freshness and nutrition to this dish.
How to store leftover old timers bacon?
Leftover old timers bacon recipe can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
What other substitute can I use in old timers bacon?
Turkey bacon: Turkey bacon can be used in place of regular bacon for a lower fat option.- Mushrooms: Mushrooms can be used in place of onions for a vegan option.
Sweet potatoes: Sweet potatoes can be used in place of bacon for a vegan option.
- large skillet
- paper towels
- 2 Pounds Bacon Sliced into Strips – Crispy and savory, bacon strips add a smoky richness to the sauce. When cooked to perfection, they release their flavorful fat, infusing the sauce with a delightful bacon essence. The crispy texture of the bacon provides a satisfying crunch, elevating the overall mouthfeel of the dish.
- 2 Green Peppers Diced – Fresh and vibrant, diced green peppers bring a colorful crunch to the sauce. Their mild, slightly bitter flavor adds a refreshing contrast to the richness of the bacon. The peppers’ vibrant green hue adds visual appeal, creating a visually enticing and flavorful sauce.
- 4 Cups Milk – Creamy and luscious milk forms the base of the sauce. Its richness adds a velvety smoothness, creating a luxurious, creamy texture. As the sauce simmers, the milk thickens, enveloping the bacon and vegetables in a delightful, creamy embrace. Milk’s natural sweetness balances the savory elements, resulting in a well-rounded flavor.
- 4 Tablespoons Flour – Flour acts as a thickening agent creating a smooth and velvety texture in the sauce. When cooked with the bacon fat and vegetables, it forms a flavorful roux, ensuring the sauce has a hearty consistency that coats each ingredient evenly. The flour helps bind the sauce together, providing a satisfying thickness.
- 2 Onions Diced – Sweet and aromatic, diced onions caramelize when cooked, creating a golden base for the sauce. Their natural sweetness intensifies, adding a subtle depth to the dish. The sautéed onions contribute a mellow sweetness and a robust aroma, enhancing the overall savory profile of the sauce.
- Salt and Pepper to Taste – Salt enhances the natural flavors of the ingredients ensuring a well-seasoned, savory sauce. Freshly ground black pepper adds a subtle heat and a gentle spice, enhancing the overall complexity of the dish. The combination of salt and pepper brings harmony to the sauce, elevating its taste with a perfect balance of seasoning.
- Start by cooking the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until it is crispy. Once done, remove the bacon from the skillet and set it aside on a plate lined with paper towels to drain excess oil.
- In the same skillet, add the chopped onions and green peppers and cook until they are soft and caramelized.
- Sprinkle flour over the vegetables and stir continuously for 1-2 minutes until it is well combined.
- Slowly pour in the milk, stirring constantly to avoid any lumps from forming.
- Let the mixture simmer for 3-4 minutes until it thickens and becomes creamy.
- Finally, add the cooked bacon back into the skillet and stir to combine with the sauce.
- Serve hot as a side dish or over toast for a delicious breakfast option.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is old timer bacon recipe healthy?
Old timer bacon recipe is a relatively healthy dish. The bacon adds a lot of flavor, while the onions and brown sugar provide sweetness. The butter adds a rich, creamy flavor and helps to prevent the dish from drying out.
Does old timer bacon recipe have a lot of fat?
Old timer bacon recipe contains a moderate amount of fat, with 14g per serving. If you are looking for a lower fat option, you can use turkey bacon instead of regular bacon.
Can old timer bacon recipe be made ahead of time?
Old timer bacon recipe can be made ahead of time and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Can you freeze old timer bacon recipe?
Old timer bacon recipe can be frozen, but it is not recommended. The bacon will become soggy and the onions will become mushy.
Can old timer bacon recipe be made in the oven?
Old timer bacon recipe can be made in the oven, but it will not be as crispy as it would be if cooked on the stovetop. To make it in the oven, preheat the oven to 350°F and cook the bacon and onions in a baking dish for 25-30 minutes.
Is old timer bacon recipe vegan?
Old timer bacon recipe is not vegan, as it contains both bacon and butter. However, you can make a vegan version of the dish by using mushrooms instead of bacon and olive oil instead of butter.
Old timer bacon recipe is a classic bacon dish that is easy to make and sure to please everyone who tries it. It has a unique flavor that is both savory and sweet, and is a great accompaniment to many meals.
The dish is also relatively healthy, as it contains a moderate amount of fat and is packed with flavor.
Whether you are looking for a quick and easy meal or you are looking for a classic dish to add to your repertoire, old timer bacon recipe is sure to be a hit.